Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Lovely Saturday Evening

I feel like maybe I complain a lot on this blog. I know I've discussed the many challenges of motherhood and particularly staying home with two young ones. So tonight I thought I'd share with you all what a wonderful evening I had with my family.

After afternoon naps, we decided to head to Palo Alto and check out the couch we intend to purchase. I like to visit things multiple times before we buy them. Wait, that's not true. If I'm waiting on tax money before I can actually buy something, then I like to visit it, otherwise I'd just buy the damn thing and sit on it at my house.

Anyway, we went to visit the couch and decided to eat at Max's which is an awesome restaurant that's a fav of our family. I sort of dread eating out with both kids because Max usually gets really loud (read: throws a tantrum) out of boredom and Ben usually needs to be passed around to be kept happy. As we take our seats I realize how utterly unprepared we are. I don't have my phone so Max can't watch Elmo clips on You Tube in case of emergency and I didn't bring a single thing for Ben. No Sophie, no teething biscuits, nothing. I immediately think, "Well, we're screwed".

But, as time goes on I realize just how lovely the entire meal is. Max happily watched the piano player and drank his milk without purposely dumping it on the ground. Ben chewed on a spoon and happily played peek-a-boo with a napkin and stayed in a high chair the entire time. Max shared my chicken with me and even picked up all the food that fell onto the table and piled it onto his plate so his area was nice and tidy. Ben just smiled and laughed the entire time we ate. Ritchie and I enjoyed conversation amongst ourselves mixed with playing with the kids. Enjoying them. Laughing with them. Giving each other bites off of our forks and exclaiming how wonderful all of the food was.

After dinner was cleared Max and I walked to the cake display and he pointed to the carrot cake and so we ordered him a piece (that we all shared) for dessert. Nobody cried, nobody shouted. We were there for OVER AN HOUR with zero meltdowns. Both boys stayed seated the entire time and were engaging and well behaved.

It was the stuff dreams are made of.

And then we came home, I bathed with the kids and they both went to bed - Ben WITHOUT crying.

Sometimes things are really, really good. I know that all meals out won't be like this but I'll take a positive outing and run with it. I enjoyed my kids and husband tonight. I was truly happy to be with each of them. I don't have a single complaint. And THAT is worth blogging about!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...