Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 2 - AKA Calorie counting and eating real foods IS not the same thing

Yesterday I conquered day 2 of the 10 Days of Real Food Challenge. Here's what I ate:

Breakfast: plain yogurt with banana, peach and sweetened with honey and cinnamon

Snack: Shredded wheat biscuit with milk and prunes (for the regularity, you know)

Lunch: Whole wheat pitta with hummus and veggies

Snack: peanut butter with triscuit-like wheat crackers (the salt from the cracker totally made the peanut butter edible!)

Dinner - Big spinach salad with lots of veggies, cheese and sunflower seeds and two hard boiled eggs

I ate a lot more yesterday because from one day of this challenge I lost 1.5 pounds. That would be GREAT but I'm nursing and want to make sure to keep my calories up enough.

Which totally brings me to my next point. Calorie counting and this real food business is not one and the same. Eating real foods is MUCH more restrictive. Easier in one respect since I don't have to tally up points or add calories on my iphone, but much more challenging because there is zero room for indulgence.

Like last night. I really wanted something sweet that stayed within the rules. I researched online a bit and NOTHING fit the bill! Like, I can never have dessert if I eat like this?! I wanted to make these no bake power ball things (I refuse to add a link - if I can't eat them neither can you. Talk to me in 7 days. I'll be much less crabby) that had oats, peanut butter, unsweetened coconut, flax seed, etc... but I couldn't make them because they contained chocolate chips. No sugar, and some actual GOOD ingredients PLUS they're sweet. They sounded great! But those damn chocolate chips make the rules broken. And who wants a healthy power ball thing that's supposed to be sweet WITHOUT the chocolate chips?! I mean, seriously.

So.. day two has come and gone. I've done breakfast on day three following the rules despite my overwhelming desire for a salted caramel mocha from Starbucks.

Just keepin' it real. I'm not loving this.

1 comment:

Daphne said...

Why can't you eat dark chocolate? That's okay.

Just a thought, but I'm really big on eating real foods too. The differences though is that there's no calorie counting or whatever. You eat until you're FULL. The other main difference? Absolutely no gluten. Other than that, there's no reason to go for some baked sweets, so long as it's every once in a while (like GF cupcakes from Kara's or dark chocolate with ground espresso beans!). This way of eating is MUCH EASIER to maintain. But again, just my thoughts.

If you're interested, you can check out my blog here: fitdaffy.blogspot.com. Other than that, you're doing a really fantastic job! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...