Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

5 Things I Learned While my Children Were Insanely Sick

How do I sum up this week? There's been coughing, vomiting, high fevers, higher fevers, snot, eye goop and very little sleep. I have SO much I could say about how awful this week has been for the Lincoln household, but where would that land me? If there's anything I've learned in my 30 years is that there's power in positivity so I'm going to attempt to shed some light on this garbage dump of a situation and share with you the top 5 things that I've learned while my children were insanely sick. I'm also going to throw in some Instagram photos of my very sick children.

Photobucket
Max as we were coming home from Urgent Care. This picture doesn't even do justice to how bad he looked and felt. I was so sad that day.

I've learned that...

1. Even though the pediatric advice line will immediately send you to urgent care or the ER for anything over 104 degree fever, once you get there they will be "unimpressed" with that low of a fever and tell you there's nothing to worry about. Moms? Apparently you don't have to be truly concerned until your child has a temp of 107 degrees or higher. That is when you will impress the emergency room staff. This is one area that I would prefer my children to be underachievers in. Remain as unimpressive as you'd like, kids! So, I guess I've taken from this to stop panicking about a high fever. Try a fever reducer (more on that coming right up) or a luke warm bath or a cool compress and take it from there. They basically did nothing for Ben at the emergency room despite his 105 degree temperature so basically I could have stayed home and slept. They did, however, give us Motrin and that brings me to the second thing I've learned.

Photobucket
Ben and me at the ER. He just slept the whole time in my arms.

I've learned that...

2. Motrin is far superior in reducing a fever than Tylenol. Maybe it's just my kids, but we had Tylenoled Ben at home and he still had a rockin' fever an hour later but 20 minutes after some Motrin he was at a much less alarming 97.5 degrees. It just works better.

Photobucket
When all else fails, get them outside for fresh air!

Photobucket
And ice cream!

I've learned that...

3. A hoarse voice on a 2 1/2 year old is really cute. Sad, but cute nonetheless. Both my kids are honestly troopers and I've been so proud of the way they've handled being so sick. It hasn't been easy and there's definitely whining and crying, but overall they're just sweet little souls who have given their momma so many snuggles.

Photobucket
Max and me snuggling on the couch watching Thomas.

Photobucket
Also, we were a little silly.

Photobucket
Ben perked up this morning and went with us to sign our closing docs on our house.

I've learned that...

4. Ritchie is a freaking rock star dad and husband. I already knew that, but when we have these sorts of crap times running through our family and he steps up the way he has I am just in awe at how I got so lucky. He stayed home for 2 days to help me deal with the 2 sick kids, only to go to work sick himself today because he didn't want to miss anymore time. I feel like a HUGE mommy wimp when the kids are sick. It's the vomiting that I can't handle and both kids were coughing so much they were vomiting, so I requested some help and he was there for me despite what that meant for his workload and his ability to take time off later when he was sick. He didn't complain about it and even told me that he totally understood! I mean, really, he's my hero. And I'm working on my wimpy mommy ways. I still want my own mommy when I vomit, so maybe I need to grow up a bit, yes? After all, I am 30.

Lastly, I've learned that...

5. I have an amazing network. It's all of YOU that have brought me to tears (good ones!) this week. Whether it's in a friend bringing dinner or a text saying that we're being thought of or offers of help in any way, the love and support has come in abundance this week! I've had offers for dinners to be made, Starbucks to be brought, prayers to be said and everything in between! I seriously thrive off positive energy. That's why both labors I wanted the masses to KNOW I was in labor. It helps me tremendously to know that others are thinking positive thoughts for me and this week in particular I've needed all that positivity! So, thanks SO SO SO much to you all for keeping me and my boys especially in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you for the offers of food or coffee or just a shoulder (even if over text because you don't want to get sick! haha!!) to cry on. I've felt the love big time and it's carried me through.

There really has been a light at the end of this tunnel and I'm grateful to be being pulled through to the other side. I think (Dear God!) that we're through the worst of it with the boys, but I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. Oh, and just because I feel I HAVE to say this - please, call your doctor/on call doctor if your child's fever gets high. They may send you to the ER and you may not have needed to go, but obviously I am not a doctor and can't really tell you that your child is fine if they have a high fever. Just GO. It was not at all a waste of time! I felt so much better knowing he had been seen.

I plan to get back into Project 365 soon here as well as write some exciting updates on our house selling AND (finally!) a tour of the house we're renting that we love! Hopefully I'll be back in the swing of things on this here blog in no time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...